Dean Cain Talk Baseball Moveie & The NFL


When Princeton All-American Dean Cain severely injured his knee during Buffalo Bills training camp in 1988, he had one thought:

"I had to find another way to make a living," said the 6-foot Cain, who played defensive back. "My goal was always to play in the NFL, and I signed a deal with Buffalo. But that injury ended my career."

So these days, the 44-year-old Cain gets to relive his glory days of sports through his movies and TV shows. He hit it big in the 1990s as Clark Kent in "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman" and has acted in more than 100 movies and TV shows.

This week, Cain's movie "Home Run Showdown," is being released on DVD.

"I'm a sports guy through and through. Anything with sports, I'm excited to do," Cain said. "You learn so much about life lessons playing sports. Being on a team. Hard Work. I could go on and on."

The movie is about 12-year-old Lorenzo who doesn't make a youth baseball league, so he starts his own. Matthew Lillard and Barry Bostwick also star.

"You will see so many characters in the movie that you've seen in real life," Cain said. "That's what drew me to this project."

And after promoting the film, Cain can focus on the start of the NFL season. His favorite teams are broken down into "Bs and Ds," as he said.

• Detroit: "That's easy. I was born there."

• Buffalo: "That was the only NFL team that paid me."

• Denver: "I have a home there."

• Dallas: "My college quarterback, Jason Garrett, is the head coach there."

• Baltimore: "I always had tremendous respect for this but I never really wanted them to win. Until recently. The amazing thing is my college roommate had a daughter who needed brain surgery in Baltimore. Ravens head coach John Harbaugh visited her in the hospital. Ray Lewis talked to her on the phone while at a wedding. Ray Rice stopped by. All of these guys went out of their way for this little girl. I immediately changed my opinion about them. They all have class."

So, in some ways, Cain doesn't feel that badly he didn't make it in the NFL.

"I'm a single father to a 12-year-old boy. If he throws up, I clean it up. Being a father is my No. 1 job. That's where I define myself," Cain said. "I stay pretty grounded. I know I'm lucky to go off and pretend to be someone else for the day. If I come home and my son is asleep after having a good day, I'm happy as a clam."

Comments

Popular Posts